Artsy Summer Flower ~

MarveLes Art Studios Art and Collage Quilts, Blogs, Mixing It Up 5 Comments

You may remember my post featuring this quilted flower, (see here), which was screen printed using Margaret Applin’s thermofax screens

Once printed, I heat-set it, and then with right sides together, faced it with batting, and another layer of fabric.  I stitched around the perimeter,  in the shape of the flower, (leaving an opening), trimmed my seams and corners, turned it right side out, and pressed it.  I free motion quilted it prior to attaching it to the quilt top. It was quilted with variegated thread, and then black thread, which was King Tut from Superior Threads.

I used a Crafters Workshop Stencil that had ‘random-like’ words on it, and used a couple different colors of acrylic paints, and added this to the background fabric.  Heat-set to cure.

I added some bobbin quilting, angelina, and other little trimmings of fabric for grass, toward the bottom of this piece, using my wavy rotary cutter.

Free motion quilting… simple, ‘free’ and a few flowers here and there…

 I wanted to add something to the sides, a bit on the ‘wonky’ or uneven look… adding color and texture, but not to take away from the main attraction of the screen-printed flower.  I decided to take leftover snow-dyed fabric (from Chris Daly~ love love her snow dyes!), and fold narrow little strips, which were attached with a straight stitch, and the backing was then just folded over and stitched down. It’s definitely wonky.  And I like it!
Also, forgot to mention that I added a few more screen prints at the bottom of the background fabric. Love that pattern. 

Just for fun.

Because I can!

EnJOY~Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments 5

  1. I absolutely LOVE your blog. Found my way here by a pin of your fabulous Art on Pinterest. You are so talented! Love all of your Works of Art! And I would Love to live in Montana! One of my most favorite states in the US. So glad I found your blog!

    Beth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.