It was also a way in which I developed some of my free motion skills. It was fun and easy, to quilt around the bleached images. I used a Coats and Clark, variegated rayon thread. Which was all we really had available locally at the time I sewed this up. It was a pain… it constantly frayed. OF course we didn’t have the type of needles so handily available now, either!
I really enjoyed doing the free motion zig zag, as seen on the collar. It was easy to do, just adjusting the width to meet the edges of the squares… and I only quilted a few of them. To do more would have been predictable… and boring. And it was easier to do free motion on the collar, as it was interfaced and so the surface was thick and stabilized.
Free motion quilting the denim was also a breeze, because the weight of the fabric needed no further stabilization in order to make a nice stitch. As a beginner, I loved that! I also didn’t quilt every leaf and shape. I just wanted to add a bit of color, dimension and accent to the jacket.
You can see by the placement of the squares on the sleeves and collar, that it was key to stamping the images when the pieces were cut out, and prior to sewing. I was able to get them where I wanted them, for the most part! And if not… then enjoy that serendipity!
If I was doing this technique now, I would try the gel bleach, and also love to experiment with the new product that has been seen in some of the quilting magazines, like “DeColorant” and see what would happen. The funnest part about bleaching denim, is seeing the underlying color. It doesn’t always bleach to white or light blue… amazingly, some denim is first dyed with pink, green, orange, even black, or some other odd color, than the top layer of color you first see. It’s always a surprise, and a GREAT ADVENTURE!