Store Up Your Treasures

MarveLes Art StudiosBlogs 7 Comments

This is where I left off with this piece in yesterday’s post.  Now on to the finish line!

I thought I would add some yarn to the outer edges of the flower, free motion couching style as it’s so easy to go round the edges.  But then, Big Uh Oh.  I don’t like this…  At ALL.  Out comes the ripper, and at least a careful 20 minutes, to take out all the stitching and the yarn edging around the flower.  I hate it when that happens!  BUT… sometimes that’s the way it… sews!

And I did this instead.  From chunky and funky to smooth and groovy.  Ahhh. That’s better.  Much more peaceful and harmonious.   Why didn’t I think of that in the first place?!  I had a hard time deciding between pink and purple thread…

Also, I wanted to enhance the little bit of white checkered stamping I did on the batik fabric below.  The stamping didn’t rally show up as I had thought when I stamped it, and even lighter once it dried.  So I decided to add my own little quilted squares, free motion style.  The square motifs are NOT perfect.  Wabi Sabi!  (Perfectly Imperfect).  The intent was to ‘add a bit’ but not over-do it.  They are just kinda ‘here and there.’

And then I thought it needed ‘a little somethin-somethin- more, you know?  So out came the purple Razzle Dazzle once again, to ‘do that thing you do’ — love it!  And it compliments the delicate metallic edging on the purple rayon ribbon, in color, shine and accent.

 I left the lace edging ‘raw-edged’ and I like it that way. Alot!  The Razzle Dazzle thread is couched down right next to the yarn, but only on one side; the far left side. To put it on both sides would be predictable it seems to me… and I had also added it into the seam of the far right piece of lace inset.  When you add it as a ‘second thought’ you must take care to secure it in the beginning and ending of your stitching, and either draw the edges of the strands back through the quilt, or overlap and backstitch securely.  Would have been a bit easier if I had made that decision before I pieced other strips of fabric to it, but it’s not that big of a deal to me, and I enjoyed working this way.

 Now Another Decision.  What thread color to use for the quilting on the center pink piece of Decolourant-screen printed fabric that began this adventure!   I thought of white… but then considered it would likely not have enough of a presence on the pink/white mottled print.  So purple it was.  Again repeating some of the color story here.  I wonder if I should go back and add a dab of white threadplay somewhere… in the flower?  Around the flowers?  Hmm. Maybe!

 And I chose the verse from Matthew, “Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven” to quilt into the center of the pink fabric.  I still have some questions about my design decisions.  I’m not unhappy with it, I just think now after seeing it completed, there may have been some other choices I could have made.  More purple snow dye fabric, for one. Like another strip of it on the bottom, perhaps. 

You can’t see it, but “Matt 6:20 is quilted into the lower pastel batik border, and my name “Leslie McNeil” is quilted in that tiny sliver of a corner under the crochet lace!   I went with the same orange batik for the binding finish, and adding another thread embellishment of Razzle Dazzle, stitched in the ditch on the binding for that easy finish.

I did add light quilting to the purple screen printed printed border on top.  You can’t see it in the picture, but I just followed the printing lines of the outside curves with white thread I did experience an issue with the stitches skipping when the needle hit the paint… and I should have used a titanium needle, (from Superior threads) to see if that would have corrected the issue, but had run out of them.

Have you seen my tutorial on the Bernina Foot #39, which is most commonly referred to as the “clear embroidery foot” and not so much as a couching foot.  Click HERE for the tutorial I posted 1/31/11!

Looking back, I did accomplish at least one goal; that was to use what I had on hand.  I also wanted ‘create as I went’ making my own design, using what I had previously made with the screen prints and Gelli prints the weekend before.  And while I did all that… did I do it well? 

Truthfully, I’m not sure.
But I am sure of this: 
   Sew it Goes! 
Thanks for stopping by.
Bless your day!

Comments 7

  1. I, too, love the green thread in the flower. And that Razzle Dazzle thread is awesome. Wish my local quilt stores would carry more decorative threads … must ask about that. It's so interesting, Leslie, to read about your creative process. Thank you!

  2. I think you did it very well! It's difficult to design as you go, but that is what I do most of the time. There may be a preliminary sketch but there will always be a deviation that leads in a different direction.
    It really is very interesting to read your process. We seem quite similar in the thinking process.
    Coincidentally, I just had a problem with my needle skipping on a painted fabric. It was a quilting needle so I switched to a top stitching needle. It seems to be working but I think a smaller size than the 14 I have would have done better. I'm calling in an order tomorrow so I will ask about titanium.
    As for the purple snow dye, a small piece somewhere lower left might have balanced it. I think it's good though with what you've done. You've matched the colors in the threads and added other darker fabrics like the orange.
    It is really pretty.

  3. I love the green thread in the flower center – it really makes it pop! I also like the screen printing, your free motion stitching and use of the razzle dazzle thread. And thanks for the tutorial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *