|Flower detail of the back of the jacket|
My most favorite Jean Jacket!
I LOVE to embellish clothing! And I’ve found some products I really enJOY using. Art Glitter, namely. What a great product. Durable, pretty and easy to use. This jacket has been washed LOTS as I’ve enjoyed wearing it LOTS!
This is the front of the jacket, where I’ve added more flower motifs using wool roving and my Needle Punch Accessory Kit for my Bernina.
It’s so easy to use…
1. Insert the felting needles (there are five of them all attached together in a circle on one needle shaft)
2. Replace the stitch plate with the special one for needle felting (including in the accessory kit); it has a large round hole to accommodate the five needles).
3. Remove your bobbin case! Please see complete package directions if you have this accessory item.
4. Ensure you’re all in ‘alignment’ by hand-wheeling your needles and making sure they go straight down with bending or snagging.
5. Attach the special protective needle felting foot (included in kit)
6. Place your roving and assorted yarns under your foot (I used a shiny one here too – you can see it in the picture above) Most excellent!
7. Start needle punching by pressing the pressor foot. Go slowly at first, making sure the needles are all ‘in sync’ with each other. I needle felt first the front, and then the back, and then back to the front. Three times is all you need! Please contact your Bernina dealer for more detailed information, or visit the Bernina website here.
More embellishment opportunities await! Such as the jacket COLLAR and CUFFS! I hope you are remembering… YOU are the CEO of that sewing studio, quilt room, kitchen table…. you get my meaning, right?”Creative Embellishment OFFICER!” Yes you are!
Pictured is the top front of the jacket, with one main flower, beading, couching and bobbin play… and then the little added extra detail of bobbin play stitching line on the collar!
The picture below shows wool roving as the base of the flower. Once once that is done, you have a “road map” on which you can work in your couching, bobbin play, beading, (some of it has been done by hand!) and other threadplay as you will! I like how some of the bobbin play stitches “go off” the design – like on the leaves. Not perfect… just quite… EXCELLENT!
|Top of jacket flower detail|
Here’s another pic of the jacket BACK below. First, I proceeded with the Bernina #43 free motion couching foot to make the beautiful hand-dyed yarn into the flowers shapes (very basic ‘wavy’ shape!)… then added the beading (by machine free motion style of course!) to ‘join’ them. The last thing I did was add the Art Glitter glue, loving that fine point metal tip, and then let it dry, heat set for permanency. I did add one bead into the center flower on the back, by hand as it is too large to attach by machine free motion.
Because I have really enjoyed wearing this jacket, when it comes to washing it, I took extra care to button it up and turn it inside out, to protect the beading from bashing against a metal washer tub and dryer. I have washed it on “normal” and also dried it on “normal” settings…. numerous times over the past three years.
Art Glitter is a great product, I think! High quality, very reflective glitter. The website is highlighted above. Check it out, or ask your quilt store to get in stock for you. Love the fine point tip that comes with the set, and it’s a fast drying, heat set type of glitter. and of course, it’s washable!